Martial Arts Blogs A Journey to Shodan: Room for improvement.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Room for improvement.

Each class I attend I do my best take something from it, big or small, I take something. Tonight's class was no exception.

It makes sense that at this point in my training I should recognize things within my own skill-set that need improvement, and consciously work on them at every opportunity. The trouble is, there are so many things that I know I need to work on - basic things - where to start!?
  • Don't lean
  • Relax my shoulders
  • Stances! Knee over toe
  • Stances! Hips rotate to open the stance, not the knee
  • Kata - keep the forward momentum
  • Shuto - don't tuck my elbow so close to my body
  • Don't 'place' my kicks
This is just my short list of things that continue to frustrate me; I'm sure I'll come up with more things to add after next class.
With all this to think about, it's a wonder I'm not tripping over myself constantly. Supposedly there will come a time when my head will stay out of it, and my body will just 'do'.  I guess there is another one to add to my list - Don't overthink.  Aaagh.

1 comment:

  1. Karen, you are a self professed disciplinarian. I characteristic I admire, although don't beat yourself up too much. It's not just about the physical....S.Karen

    ReplyDelete